Guide to Cleaning Your Everyday Bag
We regularly sanitise our hands and wash our clothes, socks, and even shoes, but how often do you take the time to clean your everyday bag? Not only do bags come into contact with many surfaces, we also often touch it with our hands to retrieve items while we are out and about in Singapore.
Did you know that bags can carry over 10,000 types of bacteria? The coronavirus bacteria can also live 72 hours on any type of surface, making it easily transmitted from others to our hands, and on to our bags as we rummage through them.
It is more crucial than ever to keep your bag clean and free from unwanted germs. From canvas bags to leather bags, check out our handy guide on how to care for bags of different materials.
For Polyester or Canvas Bags
Polyester and canvas are tough materials that will stand up to years of use. Polyester bags such as this 3 Way Business Bag – TravelSupplies and canvas bags such as this elegant Canvas Drawstring Bag can be both machine or hand washed.
- First, empty out the bag and ensure all the items are removed. If there are any removable parts like compartments or pockets, separate them.
- Shake out any debris that might be in the bag. Alternatively, a vacuum with a hose attachment can be used to remove particles trapped in the bag.
- Look at the bag’s label for any washing instructions and follow suit.
- Unzip all the compartments and turn the bag inside out.
- Pop the bag and any attachments into a laundry bag to keep everything together. If you don’t have a laundry bag, use an old pillowcase instead.
- Machine wash on a no-spin, delicate cycle, using non-bleach detergent.
- Air dry the bag, keeping it away from direct sunlight.
- Shake out any debris, or use a lint roller to remove any particles.
- Gently scrub with a soft brush, using warm water and non-bleach detergent.
- Air dry away from direct sunlight.
For Nylon Bags
Nylon bags such as our stylish and functional Ladies small backpack – TravelSupplies Messenger Sling Bag are made to last, but regular care can help prolong its lifespan and keep dirt and grime from accumulating.
To wash a nylon bag, simply soak the bag in a sink or a basin with cool water mixed with mild laundry detergent without bleach. Ensure the entire bag is submerged and remains soaked for at least 30 minutes.
Spot clean any stains off with a soft brush or an old toothbrush, and wipe all the pockets down with a soft brush or rag.
Rinse the bag off with warm water and hang upside down to drip dry. Avoid drying in direct sunlight as UV rays might affect the bag’s colour.
For Leather Bags
Leather bags are a timeless fashion statement that can also serve as excellent custom corporate gifts. They usually take a little more effort to clean than other materials, as special leather solutions and conditioners may be required for optimal results. However, the easiest way to clean a leather bag is simply to wipe your bag down with a damp cloth and air dry it.
Shake any debris out before cleaning and avoid the use of wipes or other cleaning products containing alcohol. Alcohol dries out the leather and will cause your bag to lose its colour and sheen.
If a cleaning solution is needed, a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water can also be used. In addition, you can make homemade leather conditioner by adding a small amount of natural baby soap to the cleaning solution. Baby soap usually contains gentle oils that will condition the leather. However, it’s always a good idea to do a spot test on a small part of the bag to see how the leather reacts to your cleaning solution before proceeding.
Shop Durable, Easy-To-Clean Bags at Travel Supplies
Choosing the right bag is key to easy care and maintenance. Not only will higher quality bags last for years to come, they’ll also hold up better to regular cleaning.
Looking to buy a backpack in Singapore? From our large collection of duffle bags to our high-quality backpacks, find your perfect bag at Travel Supplies!
Leave a comment